Les Terres Blanches Ancestral Brut Rosé
Region: Loire Valley < France
Grapes: Cabernet FrancVineyard/Cellar Stats: Certified organic & biodynamic; clay-limestone on pebble soils; 4000 ft vineyards; direct pressing, méthode ancestrale without dosage; they disgorge 80% and use the remaining 20%
to get 2nd ferment going in the bottle; zero added SO2; 300 cases
Winemaker: Céline & Benoit BletTerres Blanches, meaning 'The White Earth', makes only single varietal wines in an incredible, biodynamic way. Céline & Benoit's estate is a constellation of small plots in a landscape naturally protected by trees, groves, meadows, and bird sanctuaries. Since their arrival in 2004, they have replanted 5 hectares of vines to ensure a human and economic balance. Céline & Benoit conduct in their vineyards and cellar to the rhythms of the seasons and the lunar calendar in organic and biodynamic agriculture. To reduce their carbon footprint, they work only with local suppliers for inputs when possible, and recycle the fruits of their farm to make hay that feeds their beloved horse, Tundra du Moulin, a Trait Poitevin mule, and their small herd of sheep. With the help of their local community, they even harvest fava beans and triticale seeds for their green manures. Talk about a supportive ecosystem!
Their Ancestral Brut Rosé is a stunning pale pink wine, and a stunning value -- it drinks like a top tier rosé Champagne but costs half the price. Not only is it super festive and delicious, with Cab Franc's crunchy red fruit notes and zippy acidity, it’s also a soulful,
elegant, and complex vintage sparkler that's farmed biodynamically by a passionate couple who are amazing stewards of their land. A lovely all-purpose sparkler for the holidays.